Richard - Penryn, California

I Believe

I believe that I will succeed and truly conquer my goals in life. I believe that if I try hard enough I can do the things in life that I want to do. I truly do think that if I give it my all and try as hard as I can, I can one day become a professional motocross racer. I have the ability to do it, and I have been getting better and better every time I practice.

Let me start with a little bit of a background as to why I want to do this. I’ve been riding for about eight years, and ever since I first learned how to ride my first bike I was hooked. Ever since I first started I wanted to race, but I never could because of my parents. I first started racing two and a half years ago and have been doing great. Right now I’m currently fourth in the points standing in this series I have been racing, and I have missed two out of the seven races.

About a year ago I broke my collar bone during practice at a local track. I didn’t get to ride for three months which is a really long time if you race. My first race back from that injury I did horrible on account my top end was going out and my front suspension seals where blown. A month after that race I did something really stupid and I broke my hand. So there was another month and a half. At this time my confidence level was extremely low. I didn’t get to ride and to top it all off I was way out of shape from not riding. It took me weeks to get back to where I was. There was only one reason I didn’t quit right then and there, in seventh grade my English teacher had us write a letter to ourselves that wouldn’t be mailed to us until our senior year. Well I got that letter early. When I got it I still had a cast on my arm and I was at the point of just giving up just because I thought I couldn’t do it. When I got the letter I opened it up and within the first two sentences I asked myself if I was a professional motocross racer yet.

Its amazing how even back then I knew I could do it and that one day I would do it, but its just crazy because I got it when I was at the point of giving up. I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason, and I know there was a reason why I got that letter at that time of my life. Ever since that day I promised myself that I would try as hard as I can so I can one day turn pro. Right now I’m still pretty far from it, but I’m getting better every time I ride. I know that one day soon, if I keep my grades up, ride, and practice a few times a week I will conquer my goals.