What is better then work?

Remington - Klamath Falls, Oregon
Themes: work

To most that may seem like a question open to a million different answers, just about anything’s better then work right? I used to think that too.

When I was young I wasn’t the one to tidy up the house if it was getting a bit messy or go the extra mile on a project I was assigned, I tried every trick in the book to get out of a job and procrastinate homework.

My lack of respect continued until I got a job doing construction when I was fifteen. Mostly I was doing the things that “Lacky’s” do. Cleaning up afterwards and hauling materials, odd jobs like that. After time my boss trusted me a little more and gave me more complex jobs. Most I messed up or did wrong the first time. He would then raise his voice and explain that I was costing him money. I learned to take scolding’s well, I learned to think things through, take pride in my work, and to do it right the first time.

After a couple months I broke my foot – that taught me to be more careful – and didn’t come back until I was seventeen and back after a semester of college. There were new people there that knew less then I did, Guys would come to me and ask questions about something, I realized for the first time that I was looked up to, that I knew something well and could do it well.

Other experiences I’ve had while working has brought me the extra cash in my pocket, new friends, and maybe a little work ethic.

I’m not sure what kind of person I would be if I hadn’t put in all those hundreds of hours in work, if I just stayed at home wasting my time in pointless things, I don’t know if I would have got to college, I don’t know if I would be heading in the directing I am now. I think people should put more emphasis on jobs for kids as well as the unemployed, what bad comes of a job? Certainly not wasted time, far from it, where else can you get such things for your own good?

When all is said and done I hope to be teaching seminary and be writing on the side. Though right now it doesn’t seem much like work I hope I’ll be able to retain that respect for labor and perhaps give a little of that to my Children.

I believe in the necessity of hard work.