Keri - Medina, Ohio
Themes: atheism

Why do people believe in a higher power? Or better yet, what is so comforting about believing in a higher power? I’m an atheist and I think god is a way for some people to place a cover over the unknown. A long time ago, mankind had a god for all strange things- the sun, the moon, even thunderstorms, and they didn’t want to upset the gods for fear of these ‘great unknowns’ reacting in some awful way. But mankind has gotten smarter, and now mainly death and the start of life remain a mystery.

I wasn’t always an atheist. When I was younger, I would go with my family to church every Sunday. My pastor was a great guy and would even hand out hugs to anyone who wanted one at the door on the way out, and I always wanted one. However, even though he was a nice guy and had an answer for everything, the things he preached never quite made sense to me. Many times as a child I looked through nature books my dad owns and one is on evolution. I guess this was my first step in becoming an atheist because I began believing that mankind was not created by god like my catholic church believed, but that we evolved from primates. So I got a little older, and the next step for me was answering the question of where the first bacteria came from, and I believe they came from something catastrophic, but I also think that whatever it was, it was natural.

Atheism is a part of my life everyday because I see things differently than how I used to see them. I’m not spiritually involved in life anymore; I don’t pray or feel like someone is watching over me. I know I’m lucky to be alive, and I know I shouldn’t waste it, plus I live life to the fullest because I think this will be my only chance at it. Overall, I’m proud to be an atheist.