Dancing Through Life

Brooke - Runnells, Iowa

It was a hot, fall night and I was positioning myself perfectly between the 40 and 50 yard lines. Those two long minutes of waiting for the band to get done were now up and the crowd cheered. Everyone was ready to watch us dance. The wind blowing slightly across my face reminded me of other times on the field and how much I treasured it. It reminded me that no matter how exhausted I get or how stressed by reality I am, I still have dance. It’s an awesome feeling to hear the crowd’s response and it’s hard not to get caught up in the moment.

My dance teacher says to us all the time, “If you look and act like a dancer, you’ll dance like a dancer.” A good dancer can get on stage and just be ok, but a great dancer can get on stage and really put on an extraordinary show. That’s what I am: an entertainer. In life, I’m a student, daughter, and a sibling, but at dance I’m a performer.

I become a completely different person. My legs don’t just move like an ordinary earthling, they float like an astronaut in outer space. As a dancer, we don’t need to do a bunch of turns, back-flips, and leaps to prove that we’re superior. You just have to show passion and fun in every step you do. The audience won’t remember how many tricks you did, but how the dance made them feel. That’s the whole point.

When I have a stressful day, I look forward to my dance classes in the evenings. It relaxes me, puts my mind at ease, and takes all the pressures away for that moment. It keeps me from thinking about all of the little things in life. Dance is my life. It’s what I do and who I am.

I think if everyone took at least one dance class in their lifetime, our world would be a better place. If you’re a teenager having troubles coping with homework, love life and activities, or an adult that needs time away from kids and work, this might be an option for you. I believe dance puts my body in a tension free state of mind and it’s definitely the path for me.