Left Standing

Jessica - Altoona, Iowa

Have you ever felt alone when one of your “friends” ditched you? It’s a horrible feeling. You always thought that they would be your best friends forever and then, poof! They’re gone, leaving you standing. I have learned that my real friends won’t leave me.

When I attended elementary school, I invited some girls to come to my birthday party. At the time, I thought all of them were great friends. During the party, they all had a huge fight about something extremely childish. Then one of the girls got so angry, she ran out the door. I felt awful that one of my “friends” would walk out on me. Since then, I’ve realized that true friends will always stick with me. When I went back to school, they all ignored me after what had happened. They all seemed irritated at me like it was my fault for someone else’s lack of character. For a while, I was friendless until my dad introduced me to his friend’s daughter. Since then we’ve been best friends. We keep in touch and listen to each other when we’re feeling down.

Since then, I’ve learned that real friends are those people that I can trust with anything. They won’t give up on me if I’m having troubles. They help carry some of my baggage and I help carry some of theirs. True friends will really care about you and ask you how you are doing.

Jay Leno once said, “Go through your phone book, call people and ask them to drive you to the airport. The ones who will drive you are your true friends. The rest aren’t bad people; they’re just acquaintances.” Real friends will always be willing to help you when you’re in great need. I learned this because after the party, I had no one to talk to at school. The only people that talked to me were the kids I didn’t know very well. I figured out that I didn’t need to pursue or worry about my old “friends”, but I needed to make new ones. So I took the effort to get to know some of my acquaintances and they turned out to be real friends. I believe in the real friendships.