Practice is the Key Ingredient to Success

Natalie - Pleasant Hill, Iowa
Themes: work

Practice: Even the word sounds boring and tiresome. Practicing is involved in sports, music, or other interests. I participated in a solo and ensemble contest last February. I dreaded having to practice and procrastinated. Finally, I decided that I had to practice or I would fail myself. If I wouldn’t have practiced, I wouldn’t have gotten a two, which is only second to a one. I believe that practice is the key ingredient to success.

When I was younger, I participated on a Runnells’ softball ball team. I dreaded going to practice, because I knew that I would be working on improving my hitting and catching. At the end of practice, I would realize that I really did accomplish something. I made my hits and catches seem effortless. My team actually did really well that season. We grew closer as a team and became successful at what we did.

Music is another passion of mine. I have played piano since 4th grade and clarinet since 5th. Playing instruments requires time to go over spots in my music that I could improve. I also must work on playing the music at the right tempo with as few errors as possible. In general, participating in music really isn’t that different from participating in sports. I plan to participate in SCIBA this year, for clarinet, and hopefully get accepted into the honor band. When I accomplish my goals, it gives me a feeling of success and improvement.

Everything I do requires practice. Whether it be cooking, driving, or just using a computer. I believe that I can’t get any worse if I practice. I can only improve from where I started. However, I can’t get any better if I don’t practice. That in itself, is a huge motivator for me to do what I love and to have fun doing it.

Practicing involves learning about new things and repeating them until I know what and how to do it well. Repeating and being focused really help me accomplish my tasks. If I am unfocused, then I will lose the information that I practiced. When I have accomplished what I have practiced, then I have been successful. In my mind, practice has everything to do with success. Pubililius Syrus, a Latin writer, said, “Practice is the best of all instructors.” Practice can give me all of the skills I need to be successful.