Jessica - syracuse, New York
Themes: carpe diem

When my grandmother was going through my late great grandfathers things she found a poem buried in one of his prayer books. The name of this poem was “Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow”, this poem and my grandmother are the reasons why I believe that it is important to live life one day at a time, regret free. Meaning it is important to learn from past mistakes. Obstacles in life should make you grow stronger as a person by allowing you to learn from them and then in turn you will not repeat them in the future. After all it has been said that you are a smart person if you do not make the same mistake twice.

“Yesterday has past forever beyond our control, all the money in the world cannot bring it back”. When I was ten years old I lost my uncle, not knowing how to deal with the loss my grandmother told me to be thankful that someone so amazing was apart of my life. She told me not to be upset that he won’t be there tomorrow but to reminisce of all the fun times we shared. I can remember watching fantasia and playing outside with him and my sister.

“Tomorrow the sun will rise either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds”, that is why it is important to enjoy today and not worry about what tomorrow brings. I believe that it is important to be optimistic and enjoy life. With friendships I have faced many obstacles that have made me question them and myself as a friend. However I am a firm believer in giving people a second chance and doing my best to let the past be in the past. People make mistakes, if everyone was perfect life would be boring.

While it may sound like a cliché, I strongly believe in this philosophy because through my life I have faced many obstacles and moments of devastation, and if I did not live my life by this philosophy I would be a different person. I would also have abandoned many relationships if I did not forget about yesterday and give people a second chance today.