“Everything Happens For A Reason”

Fernando - Syracuse, New York
Themes: purpose, setbacks

I believe that everything happens for a reason, even though sometimes the reasons are not known or obvious, there is always a reason. This belief is a result of my catholic up bringing but I believe it applies to all of us. This summer I had a rough series of “unfortunate events” to be politically correct, and I can not find an explanation for them or a reason, but I still believe that everything happens for a reason.

Let me tell you about a couple of those unfortunate events. I had an internship during the summer in San Diego, California that required for me to have a car. At the time I did not own a car but I had a saved some money over the years for something special, so I decided to buy one, a dodge stratus model 2001. I thought the car was in good conditions and that it didn’t look too bad so I was really excited about it. After my first day in the internship, as I walk up to my “new” car I found out that the front right tire was flat, so I had to patch it up. After the first week of my internship I went to a friend’s house and when I got back in the car to drive to the apartment where I was staying the car did not start, the battery had died. Four weeks into the internship I was driving to the super market and I started to hear a weird noise in the car and as I slowed down I saw and smelled fire coming out of the front right tire so I had to run across the street to a 7 eleven and buy a gallon of water to put the fire out. After this the car could not move so I had to take it to pep boys and it was a huge bill for something I have no idea why it happened. At the end of the 9th week of the internship, as I was driving down to see my family, 25 miles into interstate 8 east my car just flat out dies, the motor was useless. Why? Don’t know probably was messed but since the day I bough it.

This is only the part I felt could be talked about with out me getting too emotional about it, but the other, more serious, problems in my family’s life and mine include unemployment, depression, bankruptcy, a break up, and the biggest one is uncertainty of what is yet to hit us. Why did these things happen to me? I don’t know, but the things I do know are that I did not die on any of my multiple car problems, when I could have easily lost my life, I am in college and happy, and my family is alive, struggling but they making it through on a daily basis. These events made me realize the things that are really important in my life and those are being healthy, happy, and with the people I love. Even after a series of unfortunate events I still held my head up high and tried to be as optimistic as possible because I believe that everything happens for a reason. So why believe that everything happens for a reason? I don’t have an answer to that but I do know it certainly gives you something to look forward to in life!