Montgomery - Syracuse, New York
Themes: carpe diem, death

Ever since I have found out about the fragility of life I have strongly believed that I have absolutely no control over my existence; in other words, the length of my life is not mine to decide. Death is a sudden occurrence. No one knows when, where or how it will happen to them; a classic example being a completely healthy person being diagnosed with cancer.

On a Sunday afternoon approximately six years ago I was crossing a street close to downtown Austin. Being an intelligent pedestrian I checked both sides of the street before I crossed, but that didn’t matter. As I was closing in on the other side I heard a horn honk and before I knew it I was rolling over the roof of a Crown Victoria going 35 mph. Although the street was clear before I crossed, an intoxicated driver had pulled out of a local apartment complex and reached my position before I had fully crossed the street.

Another instance of the fragility of life happened approximately a week ago at a North Central Texas College baseball practice. Near the end of practice, freshman pitcher Josh Fant passed out due to a heat stroke and was pronounced dead at the hospital. Although I neither received any injuries from my accident nor knew Josh Fant, both incidents have brought me closer to the realization that my existence is beyond my control.