Kayla - Forestburgh, New York

I believe that if you work hard from the beginning than you can enjoy yourself later in life. Since I have been little my parents have enforced the value of hard work and the benefit to making small sacrifices in order to gain a larger reward in the end. As a child my parents would stress the importance of having a good work ethic and how important it is to succeed in life. My parents led through example by working hard all year and than rewarding our family with a exciting family vacation. They would always tell me that “If you work hard now, you play hard later”. This phrase has really impacted the way that I live my life. As a highschool student, it was extremely important for me to be involved in all three sport seasons, receive high grades in all of my classes and be involved in a variety of extra curricular activities. The packed schedule that I maintained through out my highschool career kept me motivated and focused on my main goal of getting into a good college. On occasion, it was very difficult for me to juggle sporting events, school projects, friends and family but as I look at the late hours spent perfecting projects and countless hours spent after school, I can only appreciate the tedious hours because of all the fortunate things they have brought me. When I received my acceptance letter to Syracuse University I have never seen my parents so proud. Their joy and acceptance of my achievements made it clear to me that hard work and the extra effort I expended pays off with the benefits I receive from attending a prestigious university.