Olivia - Manchaca, Texas
Themes: family, love

A home-cooked meal. One of the simplest things you can do for another person. To me a home-cooked meal symbolizes much more than just great food; it requires sacrifice, creates a personal and intimate relationship, and at the end of the day it lets you see who you are loved by the most.

I believe in a lot, one of them being food. Not my burger being-nuclear-zapped from a frozen piece of meat to a “delicious and hearty meal.” No, I believe in a pure meal. One that was created out of the love of my parents or even my significant other. I believe in good food and good company. A home-cooked meal is so much more than just food, it creates an atmosphere of sincerity, it lets you know who really cares about you and it surrounds you with the people you love the very most.

Since my parents are divorced, I get two very different versions of home cooked meals. My father on one hand, creates simple meals with canned veggies and a hamburger, and then my mother gets the most complex of recipes with exotic ingredients and whips together a meal that I have never even heard of. Whether it is my mom’s foreign recipes or my dad’s trouble-free meals they both mean the same thing, and that is that they love me. That they would sacrifice their evenings for me, and while a it’s only a evening, which seems like a minuscule thing it actually means a lot.

A home-cooked meal means more than just good food, it means so much more. It represents the love of family and the sacrifices they make. It lets somebody know that they really do love you. Everyone should sit down to a home cooked meal every night and look at the people who are sitting down with them. Most likely it will be the people who they care about most. It will show you who really cares about you, and with all the great food of a home cooked meal, the underline ingredient is love.