Clarice - Elgin, Illinois

Real Job

When asked what I do for living, my answer is “I’m a musician”. I know I always have to be prepared to hear comments like “I see, but what is your real job?” At times, that hurts my feelings, but now I know that being a musician is pretty real to me. This is what most fulfills my mind and soul. When I play in restaurants, it definitely fills my hunger, too. My job may not be considered for many a real job because I do not work forty hours a week inside an office. But it is a hard job like any other “real” job. I believe that doing what I most enjoy in life as my profession is a privilege to me, and everyone should experience this kind of privilege.

My passion for music and percussion started when I was twelve years old. I know it might sound weird, but it all happened in a ballet lesson. Wait, I will explain. The ballet classroom was also used for Capoeira lessons. Capoeira is a Brazilian martial art which is accompanied with live percussion. The percussion instruments were kept in that classroom, so I had plenty access to them.

When I first tried to play the pandeiro, a Brazilian tambourine, I had a wonderful experience. I did not know what I was doing, but it sounded great. I was amazed by the sound that the pandeiro was able to produce, and that had nothing to do with me playing it. I felt so good playing the pandeiro that I decided to quit ballet lessons and buy my very own pandeiro. And here I am, ten years latter, playing pandeiro and other instruments for living.

I am very lucky because I was given the chance to experience different activities to find my favorite. I discover a passion inside of me. No, it was not ballet. Thank goodness! I discovered music in my heart. We all should be given the opportunity to choose a profession based only on our pleasure. If all people could work with what they most love, we would live in a happier world. I feel that I do not need vacation or retirement because I never want to stop playing music in my life. All right, a trip to Greece would not be bad, but I would certainly carry some instruments with me and make some noise.

I do believe that a joyful life is only possible when we do what we like. It may be playing music, teaching, working in an office, dancing ballet (not for me!), and raising a family, or all this options together. It could be a real, unreal, or surreal job as long as it brings us happiness. Music is my real job. What is yours?