Caroline - Pacific Palisades, California

I have heard the words: “Silence is golden” so many times, that now it just seems natural to me. Now, when I sit down and think about it, I realize that it isn’t always true.

So, Silence isn’t always golden, and I mean this as a metaphor, another way to say it is: Speak up. During the holocaust, Adolf Hitler tormented Jews. Nobody really stood up for them. Maybe a few people told Hitler that he was wrong, but not enough. Possibly if more did, Hitler would have backed down. The non-Jewish people in Germany didn’t realize that in their case, silence really wasn’t golden.

Put yourself in this situation: An incredibly tall highschooler and his friends walked up to your best friend while you were watching, and threatened to hurt him or her. What would you do? The right thing to do is to remember that in this case, silence isn’t always golden. Stand up to the high schooler, tell him that what he is doing is wrong and report him to the dean. If that sounds too hard for you, at least tell the dean about what is happening.

“Silence isn’t always golden” isn’t just a metaphor though, it can also be literal. It means that you should talk! Don’t just sit in the back without your hand raised. You should say what you want and give your ideas. You could help so many people by just talking. So, be brave, be proud, and think….what would life be like without words?