Nhi - Santa Maria, California

Power of Love

I believe in the strong power of love. When I was a little girl, I was very attached to my grandmother. My grandmother was a kind, warm-hearted, and lovely woman. I remember that she had a rounded face with a lot of wrinkles around her eyes and forehead. She had straight, snow-milky hair that cut right above her shoulder. Unfortunately, my grandmother passed away when I was just five years old. But she always seems like a kind angel in my mind; she loved her grandkids very much, especially me. My grandmother would do anything to protect me, and she would never let anyone to hurt me. She was happy when I was happy, and she was sad when I was sad. She always made sure that a smile was always on my face. She would take me to go anywhere and buy anything that I wanted. She wanted to give me only the best. My grandmother was my best friend. She understood everything about me. I spent most of my time playing with her, almost every day.

I was deeply sad when she passed away because I lost a buddy. Even though she passed away, she is always in my mind. She is invisible, yet I know that she is always around to support and protect me when I need it. She applauds me whenever I succeed. When I have a hard time doing something and almost give up, she reappears in my mind. I feel that she is around somewhere to help me go through the hardship. I love my grandmother very much, so I want her to be happy. I know that it would make her happy to see that I’m happy and successful. I don’t want her to be sad, so I will try diligently to be successful in everything that I do. She gives me the energy to achieve my goals.

I had to give a presentation for my speech class last week, but I didn’t feel confident to speak in front of the whole class. However, I did much better than I thought I would have done. I was so surprised that I had a highest score in my group. My group members received Bs, and I was the only one who earned an A. Before the presentation began, I felt like I won’t do well for the presentation because I feared that other people would laugh at me when I miss pronounced the words or had too strong of Vietnamese accent. Finally, I had a strong feeling that I could succeed; nothing could stop me. This is something that I had to face, so I preferred to get through it immediately. So I went through the presentation very well, I was confident. I think that my grandmother was helping me to present with confidence, enthusiastic, and poise.