Frank - Laredo, Texas

I am responsible for my life, my happiness, my sorrow. There is no one, no god, no destiny to blame, to thank. Life is what it is. Right now. This very moment. Ah!!!

I can live a life of integrity and compassion. I can make an effort in each moment to do the best I can. And that is all I need to do. Having expectations of love or peace or enlightenment or fame or fortune for myself or my loved ones only sets me up for disappointment, creates an atmosphere of desire, leads me into temptation.

The Christian god I was brought up to believe in seemed like a Santa Claus in the sky. I turned away from it early. I looked up at the stars lying on my back in the grass of Texas at 14 and knew if I could only grasp infinity I would know all I needed to know. That truth has not changed for me in all my searching, finding since. What has changed is love. I now know love as I did not before. Love grows. No, the love is always there, it is my true nature. The fears, insecurities, hurts, angers, joys, triumphs of my little self slowly erode and let the love come through. The expression of love increases, the feeling of love increases. I still suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, yet am not rocked by them as much as before. There is a solid base of what? Something I do not understand. Something I cannot put into words. And that is okay. It is all okay, better than okay. It, life, the world, all living things, are perfect, just as they are. Can things change for the better? Yes, I can change. I can make an effort in each moment to live according to my precepts. I can appreciate my life. That puts a smile on my face, a smile I can give to others. That is all I can do, all I need do.