Spencer - North Bend, Washington

This I Believe…

In the world people would be a lot happier if they said exactly what they are thinking. I believe in being honest with myself and with others.

In A Separate Peace by John Knowles a boy holds all his feelings and thoughts inside and all at once he lets them out and he hurts his friend. If he could have expressed himself a lot sooner with words his friend would not have died. The same could go for all people if a person could just say anything then maybe some of the world’s problems could be fixed.

If some countries could just say what they feel towards each other before it becomes so bad that people die, then the world would be a better place. What would happen if people who are angry and feel the need to hurt people could use words to say how they feel? Many lives could be saved if people could war with words and not bombs.

Stress can build up with people that don’t talk. Not expressing your thoughts can cause a lot of stress and frustration to your mind. This is why Gene hurt Finny in A Separate Peace. That much anger and rage built up in somebody’s mind can have a long lasting effect on a person’s sanity.

If the entire world could understand that speech is a gift, then the world could engage in some conversation that furthers the human race. This is what I believe.