Alessandro - Venice, California

I believe in graffiti. It is my way of freeing my mind and escaping a sometimes-unbearable reality. When I am around graffiti or am doing my own I feel at peace and nothing around me matters. It’s just my paint-an assortment of flashy and bold colors, the wall-a building, ledge, or the remains of a torn down house, and myself full of ideas.

Graffiti is my teacher; I am the student, and my education is the lessons I learn on the street. Out in the street I can be myself and not worry about being judged. I have the freedom to express myself without conforming to the views of society.

Upon approaching a wall I wanted to paint, I heard voices behind me. They continued, saying that my style was lame and that I was not welcomed at this spot. I didn’t pay any attention to them for this was the street’s way of testing my character. I proceeded to paint and upon finishing my “piece” the voices I heard before were full of compliments. Graffiti has taught me many lessons, being strong and believing in myself and what I can do is the most important one. Every lesson learned I apply to reality. Graffiti has given me an opportunity to break the mold society has cast.