Jacob - Santa Monica, California
Themes: purpose

I believe in destiny. That everything happens for a reason. Life unfolds in a certain way because of what is destined. Still, we have the power or agency to determine the course of events in our lives. One can influence their own destiny and others’.

Changing the direction of one’s life can seem daunting. I have always had a problem with my weight, which affected my performance in sports as well as my self esteem over the years. A painful injury to my knees as a result of carrying this extra weight could have meant my destiny as a catcher was over. Through constant exercise and determination, along with self control in my diet, I changed the course of my future.

Last year I lost a good friend of mine. Was it his destiny to be in the wrong place at the wrong time? Could anyone have changed the outcome of that day in February, when he was killed senselessly? I admired him for his acceptance of people of all races unconditionally. He was a hero who never reached his prime but who left so many affected by his presence.

Karma plays a part in destiny. What you give out comes back to you. The rewarding experiences I have with the underprivileged campers I work with year after year give me an appreciation for life’s challenges. The organization United in Harmony provides a camp-like experience for those who are unable to enjoy a privileged life such as what I have been blessed with. I believe that these experiences will lead me into a life committed to caring for others less fortunate than myself.

Destiny does not always work in ones favor. Life throws us curve balls. Our SAMOHI baseball team was stacked with talent this year, and reached a level that the program had not reached in 35 years. Although we made it to the championship game, we were not destined to be the city champions. We had the talent and the heart but couldn’t pull it out in the end.

If one doesn’t see their life going the way they want, one can influence their own destiny. We affect our destiny with every act we make, may the act be subconscious or purposeful. These acts may have been was destiny chose for us, not necessarily what we opted for.