Melissa - Costa Mesa, California

This I believe:

My name is Melissa O–, I am 31, and I live with my Husband and my dog in Costa Mesa, California. Last night I had a dream that I walked into a room of women, they were all dressed in red. There were at some kind of social meeting but they were all women of power. In a rage of frustration and disbelief I stood up and I spoke to them. This is what I said; this what I believe:

I believe that we have the power to stop global warming, that we can protect the plants and animals that are being pushed into extinction. I believe that we have an obligation to our children that they can experience a safe and clean world. I believe that we, as women will be the ones to inspire this change.

We are living in a sort of hopelessness that comes from feeling that we are alone. We ask ourselves, what can I do to change the world? We are overwhelmed by the immensity of the problems, and so we do nothing. We give up before we reach our doors. Defeated, we turn on our televisions or look for some other distraction and we wait for someone else to save us.

What we need, women, is to get organized. We need to get together and discuss what can be done. There is power in powerful numbers. Alone we can do only so much, together we have the power to change the course of history.