Trevor - Fairfield, Connecticut

I was asked to write a paper, a paper on something I believe in. I have to have a story about my belief explaining why I do believe in it. I eagerly chose the three things that are most important to me in life: Family, friends, Karma. I’ve been taught that family should always come first, but when I was little I always felt that it was just something childish my mom would say like she just saw it out of a Disney movie. I’ve come to realize that family in fact, should always come first. And friends are just like family, whether it is a girlfriend or a boyfriend, they all care about you, and want the best f or you. Lastly, but certainly not least, is just doing the right thing: in life, once a day, helping out, anything that would change someone’s day in a positive way. This is part of karma, I believe what goes around, comes around.

From day to day I try and do at least one nice thing, whether it is holding the door open for someone, or helping my mom with something or doing my chores; I believe if I do something nice, something nice will happen for me. I think if everyone lived life with this in mind, not only would everyone be happier, but the world would probably be a better place. Although I get slightly annoyed when I do something nice for someone and they don’t appreciate it or say thank you, I still get the satisfaction of knowing that I did the right thing.

As I said, I believe in family, being there for anyone who needs it, and having someone be there for me when I need it. And the same applies for friends, and I just love it when my friends become a part of my family. Whether it is a best friend, or my girlfriend, I can’t live without them. I know they’re always there for me. It’s a great feeling that puts you in this mood to maybe do something nice for a change, and without a doubt, something nice will happen in return for you.

And one of my greatest fears is loosing a family member, or a friend for that matter. When I was five I lost someone very close and very dear to me. And over the years it’s only made me stronger, and made me who I am today. Even though I suffer with such a great loss, I have learned so much, and have gained a lifetimes education. So the next time you see some stranger in need of help, go for it: hold a door open, help someone pick up something they dropped, you might just make their day. I thank my beliefs from my father and mother, my love Katie, and my friends. I can’t live without them.