My Saving Grace

Mason - Boise, Idaho
Themes: integrity

One person can make a difference. Those who do make differences are people who know how to love. When thinking of a person who does make a difference, many think of a parent or grandparent, a sibling or a friend; some might think of a Savior and others a politician. I think of my mother.

Mothers receive much recognition for the impact they have on the lives of children everywhere. When I was at a friend’s house, another mother was caring for me. When I was at school, I had a mother teaching me. When I went to church, a mother inspired me. But most importantly, when I was at home, I had a mother who loved me.

In high school a substitute teacher caught me cheating on a math test. When my teacher came back, she pulled me aside twice to ask me if I had really cheated. The first time I lied about it. However, the second time I couldn’t do it anymore. I told her that I had cheated and that I felt badly about it. She told my counselor and my counselor called my Mom. Rather than yelling and being angry like many parents do, she surprised me and told me that she was proud of me for telling the truth. She said that she would never bring it up again, and she never has. That little incident has made a huge impact on the decisions that I make. Instead of being angry for me doing something wrong, she loved me for doing something right. My life is the way it is because my Mother never gave up on me.

The way I live my life now is a reflection of my Mother’s devotion towards helping me stay on the path of integrity. My Mother has always loved me for who I am. When I cheated, she forgave me. When I stole, she taught me. When I stayed out too late, she disciplined me. When I needed money, she gave me. My mother is my biggest supporter. She is my “Saving Grace.” She is my greatest redeeming feature.

I believe that a Mother is chosen to inspire. She has a calling greater than any other. This I believe and I always will.