Max - Stockton, California
Themes: change, immigrant

In a world growing ever more cynical enclosed, it is an inspiring experience when you witness a person surpassing the environment they are born into. I have had the opportunity to meet one of these individuals who was, with the help of her parents, able to rise out of her circumstances and achieve more in her short eighteen years than many would think possible. Since I have the utmost respect for this young woman and she has no idea I am writing this paper I will only refer to her in the most vague of vocabulary.

She came to our country at a very young age with her sister and mother, not fleeing from persecution or lack of economic possibilities but towards the type of knowledge the American educational system could impart onto the children. The one thing left behind was her father, but this was only so that he could give his family the chances that many others in their nation could never fathom. Upon arrival she and her family moved into a new home, an apartment that was brand new and their own world in an unknown land. The odd thing is that the apartment was never furnished like any other home typical to the states. Maybe this was a sign that this nation was only a temporary home, or that once the girls were gone the mother would return home to her husband.

Through high school she never let anyone into her personal history or the life she lead. To her peers she was a friend, a classmate, and somebody to admire and aspire to be. She kept up the persona of a normal teenage girl not because she was ashamed of where she came from, but because she was proud of the life that her parents had supplied her with and the future that awaits her. Now with the sun setting on her senior year of high school she leaves behind a legacy far greater than anything I have yet experienced. She gives hope to those that struggle through each and every day, and optimism to those who only believe that your cards are only as good as those you are dealt. I believe she is a heroin to people of all ages and the American dream personified. I will never forget her or those that helped her gain the strength to drive to better herself and her life.