Karli - Vista, California
Themes: forgiveness

This I Believe- Forgiveness Is the Key Ingredient

I believe that forgiveness is the key ingredient necessary for all relationships to survive.

Whether it is a relationship with family, friends, classmates, elders, officials, or a random person on the side of the street, without forgiveness no relationship can last.

I have this one friend- a best friend to be exact, and without this key ingredient of forgiveness, we wouldn’t be as close are we are today. We are the kind of people just made to be friends with one another. We read each others minds, wear the same clothes as each other on accident, and truly understand each other. But see, I messed up (I am only human!) and really hurt her. I betrayed her trust and hurt her feelings. I didn’t know it at the time, but my actions had great consequences that affected her happiness. Even though it took her time, she still forgave me and accepted me. Because of the forgiveness she gave me, we were able to get past our rut and be the friends to each other that we both so desperately needed and still love to have. Now, we can openly come to each other and know that that event lay in our past and only helped strengthen the relationship we have now.

The point is, no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes and lets others down. No relationship you will be in will be free of all troubles. However, I believe that the only hope we have of having healthy, loving relationships is to realize this fact and be very generous with our forgiveness. No relationship can survive without it! Without forgiveness, the pain and anger are bottled inside until the relationship is poisoned with it all.

Looking at all the relationships I have now and all those I had in the past, I see one common theme that either makes or breaks the relationship- forgiveness. Forgiveness on both sides, both people accepting the others faults and mistakes and realizing that no one is perfect. I have a refrigerator magnet that says “In the cookies of life, friends are the chocolate chips.” If this is true, then forgiveness is the coco in the chocolate.