Dallin - Mesa, Arizona
Themes: courage

I believe in heroism. Not Spiderman, Superman, or Batman heroics, but in good,

old-fashioned everyday heroics. The world today is in desperate need of heroes. We live in

a world full of crime and all kinds of illegal activity, and I believe that I have the

ability to make a change in this world. Not only do I have this ability, I have the

responsibility, to do what I can to make the world a better place. Not only is it my

responsibility, but it is our responsibility, all of us.

When I heard that there had been another school shooting, this time in Virginia, I

was very distraught and very nervous when I thought about the idea that it could very

possibly have been my school. But then I heard something that was very comforting and made

me proud. Liviu Librescu, 76, a Holocaust survivor and Virginia Tech professor, and blocked

the doorway with his body, allowing his students to escape through the window. This is a

hero. He was a hero even before he performed that selfless act, when he began teaching

because he understood that he could help shape young minds, and give his students a better

knowledge and understanding of the world they live in.

Nobody needs to sacrifice their life to become a hero. This event, however, taught

me a very valuable lesson. I understand now the need for people in this world who can make

a difference. I understand the impact that one person can make. Look at Liviu Librescu,

Mother Theresa, Ghandi. All of them did amazing things, heroic things. They didn’t have

web spinning ability, super strength, or an array of hi-tech gadgetry. They were selfless,

and performed heroism far superior to any comic book character. This I believe.