Shelemiah - phoenix, Arkansas

This I believe…

I believe you should appreciate what you have because its not promised tomorrow. Stop and take a look at your life, realize all the blessings you have and strive for greatness. Life tends to take the path of a competition, but we all have something someone else wants, we just don’t take the time to notice. Wanting more is the American way, but sometimes in reaching for something higher we forget what we’re standing on.

When I was younger I grew up an only child and was raised by a single parent, my mother. We lived in a two-bedroom apartment in east Oakland, California and life was a struggle. Although, my mother never let me feel I was deprived, her cries at night told me more than I wanted to know. When I was ten, we moved to Arizona because of a better job opportunity. Life was better, but I still heard her weeping heart every now and then. What my mother wanted was a companion, an angel, and a soul mate. But at ten years old, all I had to offer her were parent teacher nights at my new elementary school. It wasn’t long before my mom would meet the man of her dreams and the father I never had.

Adjusting to my new lifestyle wasn’t difficult, it was understanding the responsibility of my new lifestyle that taught me a lesson I’ll never forget. I’ll always remember Oakland, California and the apartment by the lake. I don’t have to prove myself to anyone either. Helping others gives me great reward. I’m blessed with a father and now a little sister and I’m so grateful for my family. What matters that most is the support from the ones I love, my health and enjoying the time I have with my loved ones. Going from bus to Bentley has taught me to appreciate everything around me for what it is and not what it could be. I could be richer, poorer, smarter, prettier, the list goes on, but for now I revel in my present. Perfectly content in the now and anticipate the future with optimistic hope.