Kent - Huntington, Indiana

I believe in my Grandparent’s 1952 International Pickup. It was the truck of two of the hardest working Kansas farmers I know. It was the truck in which I learned to drive a “stick.” It is the truck that is reconnecting me to my roots, giving me hope about the future, and pause for the present moment.

Although my Grandparents are both deceased, they continue to live on through the restoration process of this truck. Each moment of repair is a moment of communion. With each part refurbished, an old memory of my time on the farm with Grandpa and Grandma is released from the past and brought to the present. Along the way too, my wife Marti has come to have a deeper understanding of who I was as a child.

I couldn’t do this renovating without the help of Sam. He in turn could not do what he does without the automotive know-how that was passed on by his recently deceased father. So in a sense, this truck is more than a truck, it is an intersection…an intersection where the past reaches forward to today and moves us to tomorrow.

At this intersection meets also the memory of my childhood with the hopes of my sons. They too want to learn to drive on this truck. They are envisioning a brighter future through and because of this truck.

And isn’t that the point? Our present moments are really a series of intersections where our past informs our future. We humbly and sometimes regrettably must admit that we can’t go back to re-do the past. There is also no good to be had from worrying about the future, so we are left with the gift of the present moment.

I thank God for gift of the 1952 International Intersection; it has given me a vast opportunity to be grateful for my ancestors and allowed me to dream with my family of our future together. But most of all it has enriched my appreciation of the present moment and all those in my community that make it so rich.