Paula - Doylestown, Ohio

I Can’t Blame My Parents for the Person I’ve Become Or Can I ??

I’ve realized that the things my parents told me, tried to teach me, showed by example and otherwise forced down my throat throughout my childhood are in fact TRUE:

? Hard work doesn’t hurt you

? Don’t take things that don’t belong to you

? A simple “Please” and “Thank you” will take you far

? Be truthful

? Just because you want it doesn’t mean that you need it

? Respect others, especially adults and authority figures

? Your opinion is not the only opinion—know when to keep your mouth shut

? The world does not revolve around you—the sooner you learn that, the better off you’ll be

? Sometimes, even the best of parents don’t have all the answers you need

Growing up, I was given chores that had to be completed and rules that had to be followed. I was shown that there was value in the accomplishment of a job well done and that volunteering gives one a sense of pride. I was taught that keeping promises showed the world who you were; manners and kindness should never be overlooked; and to use the brain that God had given me. I was given the opportunity to experience failure, make mistakes and to take the consequences they brought. I learned that my actions had reactions—both positive and negative.

True to their word, my parents were correct when they told me that I would understand someday. I am more appreciative of their wisdom now that I have become a mother, as I have a chance to influence my children as much as their peers do. I strive to be the type of parent that mine were to me.

I believe a parent’s “job” is to prepare their children for “real life.” I hope that I’ve become the adult that my parents imagined I would be.