Becky - Grayslake, Illinois

Just the other night, I was driving around with a good friend of mine. I don’t remember what was so funny, but we were laughing histerically. I had been in a bad mood earlier that day and it just felt so good to laugh. While barely being able to breathe because I was laughing so hard, I said to her “Oh my goodness, I love to laugh.” And that’s when it hit me that I believe in the power of laughter. Laughter is by far the best medicine. It can make any bad situation good and it makes any awkward situation more relaxed. Laughter is a natural stress reliever. I believe in giggling, smiling just a little bit or even laughing so hard my stomach hurts. Laughter will get you through life’s not so funny moments.

I think I enjoy laughing so much because I grew up in a family with an amazing sense of humor and a lot of sarcasm. It made holidays, birthdays and even dinnertime more enjoyable. Laughter made the times light hearted and memorable. My family taught me that even just a little smile could perk my mood up if I would let it.

Everyone knows what it is like to have bad days where everything seems to go wrong. First, I wake up late. Then, I get stuck behind the person going five under the speed limit and I get stuck at every red light. But, then something funny happens and I laugh. Laughing gets me to lighten up and realize the horrible start to my day is not the end of the world.

Laughing works for embarrassing situations too. I can not count the amount of times I have fallen up the stairs or had a total blonde moment and said something extremely ditzy. But, I have learned that stuff like that I can’t let bring me down. It is easier to make a joke out of it and laugh it off.

The best kind of laughter for me is when I am with my friends reminiscing about something that happened in the past. Memories can be the most amazing thing in the world if you let them be. I love replaying certain times in my head like the times in the past that were so funny that my friends and I would cry because of laughing so hard. Then, the memory is brought up again some time later and that same feeling enters my stomach and I just can’t stop giggling at the thought of it.

I believe a good laugh can make any day better. It is a simple way to have a ton of fun. Laughing creates memories that will be remembered forever. I believe in laughter because it is a very powerful thing.