Pamela - Johnson City, Tennessee
Themes: death, family, love

I believe that my grandpa taught me a lot about life. He was such a gentle man that could say so much without speaking a single word. When I was small, I would spend my summers with my grandparents. I really loved my grandma too, but my grandpa was always my hero. I followed him every step he made during those summers.

My grandpa was a typical old-fashioned Southern man that owned a farm. He wore old worn out overalls and he never went anywhere without his shiny, pocket watch hanging out of his pocket. He would always let me climb up in his lap and play with his pocket watch. My grandpa was a carpenter. He could build elaborate cabinets and shelves. Most importantly, he could whittle out little rolling pins for me to play with in the dirt. Even though I followed him everywhere, he didn’t seem to mind. I know that I was annoying now that I think back on it, but he always seemed so happy when I would follow him to his workshop and watch him work. He even let me play in the sawdust that remained after he was done with his projects. Boy, did that make a mess, but he didn’t seem to care.

I believe that the love my grandpa showed me when I was young has molded me into the person I am today. He took time out of his day just to spend with me. He showed me that he truly cared about me. Now that my grandpa is no longer with me, those times that I got to spend with him mean so much. I believe one day I will get to see him again and I believe he will have that same loving spirit about him.