paul - eau claire, Wisconsin

Written communications

This I believe

This I believe… It’s better to be gone and not forgotten then to be forgotten but not gone. When I was 19 I joined the United States Marine Corps. One year later I was told that I would be spending the next six months fighting for my life in Iraq. At first I was very nervous wondering whether or not I would ever make it home from Iraq, but then I heard a song by Gary Allen. In that song he said it’s better to be gone but not forgotten then to be forgotten but not gone. So I thought long and hard about that. I questioned myself “Have I helped anyone? Have I made anyone smile? Have I hurt anyone, or is there anything I have left unsaid that I should have said. So from that point on I have made sure I live like today is my last day. I don’t leave things unsaid. I try to make people smile. I try to help other people to have a happier life. Because once you have had the thought that you might not ever be able to go home and see your loved ones any more, you realize the importance of your actions. I am glad I realized what I did, when I did, or I might not have ever had the chance to make things right. You tend to live a whole new life when you see things this way. I know I have. So if you get one thing from me, let it be this. It’s better to be gone but not forgotten then to be forgotten but not gone.