Lauren - Arundel, Maine
Themes: sports

God Speed

I believe in the world of running. I am passionate about it as much as a magician is of his tricks. I see running as an opportunity for health, success, motivation, and strength.

I started running in sixth grade, and admit that I showed no immediate interest in the sport. I was athletic and thought I would give track a try. Thinking back on it now, that decision influenced who I am today. Running has become my passion. I use it as a way to clear my head when I go on long runs in the summer. I use it to build character and find my inner strength.

I remember in middle school when I was racing a girl who had a time 30 seconds faster than me in the mile. It was intimidating to run against someone who everyone thought was going to beat me, but I knew I wanted to prove everyone wrong. I made the decision to beat her and used that motivation to my advantage. I won that race and broke my schools’ record, and became noticed as a runner. I continued to run and set a few more records, which are still standing today.

Running is how I stay healthy and fit. Running is how I find that last ounce of strength within me to keep on going. Running is my life. I live for the moments when I finish a race and know I did my best. I live for the adrenaline rush I get when I watch and run the relay. I strive to improve myself as a runner, and run to defeat the challenges ahead that try to stop me. I love to pioneer through the grueling moments, even when I think I can’t go any further.

Believe me, running is no picnic. There have been times when I question why I’m a runner. But deep down I know why: it’s who I am. It’s in my system too much and I don’t think it will ever get out. I push away any negative thoughts and think about how I need to embrace running. I know that I am going to be a runner for life. Steve Prefontaine once said,“To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift.” This I believe because I believe in running.