Bill - New Castle, Colorado
Themes: Christianity

DOES GOD GO THE SPEED LIMIT?

I believe in God, The Golden Rule, the speed limit and me.

I believe in God because I know He exists.

I believe in The Golden Rule because it is my barometer for how I treat other people. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Simple concept – difficult mantra. I try to live by that rule. I fall short, but I make a conscious effort to do so every day. We will encounter people in our lives that haven’t been treated in this manner. It is our job to treat them, as we would like to be treated, so they can know how it feels. Then they can do the same. The world will turn a little bit easier.

I believe in the speed limit because there is one. If we’ll break the speed limit, what other laws are we willing to break?

I believe that happiness is a state of mind and I believe in me, because I control my state of mind. No one ever told me that life is fair or that happiness is a given. No matter how much money I make, no matter how many material possessions I acquire, no matter how much I love my wife and kids, and no matter how much you think I have, I will not be happy until I believe it is so. My brother proved that to me. I can choose every day, to have a good day.

One of my favorite quotes is from Zig Ziglar: He said, “It is your attitude, not your aptitude, that determines your altitude”. I believe that statement to be true and I have tried to instill that philosophy in my kids. They can choose every day, to have a good attitude and to have a good day.

I have been on God’s green earth for nearly 45 years – a long time to some, not so long to others. In that time, I’ve learned that life is a series of situations you have to react to. How you react defines your life and your legacy.