Cody - Hawthorne, Florida

I believe…..

Do you think that life is too short? I was just reading a magazine about how teenagers are always dying from car crashes, drinking problems, overdosing and suicides. So that’s when it hit me, what if I am going to die soon? What if I am just on my way to school one day and a drunk driver loses control and hits me and I die? I started to get really sad and scared.

The next day that same topic was still in my head when I was cleaning my room. I put that magazine that I was reading at the top of my closet and my family photos fell down. I started to pick them up and I saw a picture of me and my grandparents standing in front of the White House in Washington, D.C. I looked so young. I also saw pictures of me and my brothers at Busch Gardens screaming on top of a rollercoaster. That was so much fun. I sat on my bed for hours just looking at the pictures and remembering my past, so young, so fun, and so peaceful. Times when there was nothing to worry about except for who gets to play the Nintendo first. When there were no fights, no homework, and no getting grounded. But now there are so many things to worry about. All the things that teenagers go through, my life is so stressful. My parents told me that when they were my age, it wasn’t as hard for them as it is for me. There is a lot more pressure now that the world is getting more complicated. I just sometimes wish that I could be young again.

Then I started to think what it was going to be like when I am old. Like if I would smoke or drink. Or will I have any kids? And if I do, how many will I have? All of these thoughts started to scare me. But at the same time, I felt so excited wondering how everything was going to turn out with my life. Then I started thinking about when I will be really old, like 60. Would I be retired? Would my kids have kids? Would I still be healthy? There are so many possibilities about how my life could turn out. But then I just stopped thinking about all of those things and just thought about my life now and how I should make the best out of it while it lasts.

The point is, is that people need to stop thinking about what might happen to them when they are older. We need to enjoy every bit of life before it ends. When it does end, people will be sorry that they planned ahead for so long. Life is a fragile thing and you need to enjoy it while it lasts. That is what I believe.