Brian - Washington

I believe that truth is overrated. And with that statement, I feel as though I may have already lost some of you. But let’s think about it for a second: what makes truth so great?

The truth is: nothing. Truth only hurts us. It never comforts us; that’s what lies are for. Have you ever heard of a “happy truth?” Of course not! The truth is sad. Because the truth is, thousands of people starve to death everyday. The truth is, that politician you voted for isn’t really acting in your best interests. The truth is, Snuggles the kitty cat didn’t go to a better place; she died.

Lies, on the other hand, are much more comforting. Those thousand people didn’t exactly starve to death, so much as they embarked on a journey to another plane of existence; catalyzed by a distinct paucity of sustenance. That politician is not, in fact, spending thousands of taxpayers’ dollars on a yacht with gilded toilet seats; he’s actually putting money into public education. And Snuggles is really sitting in kitty cat heaven, living a life of luxury revolving around cat-nip, tuna fish, and those little sticks with feathers attached to them that all cats seem to love oh so very much.

Of course, not all lies need to be that over-the-top. Nice straightforward lies are usually the best: “That dress doesn’t make you look fat.” “I don’t think you’re self-centered.” “No, really, the dress doesn’t make you look fat!” Simple lies like these are what truly make the world go round.

It is with that in mind that we may say that honesty is not, in fact, the best policy.