Zheng Yi (Lisa) - Las Vegas, Nevada

I believe in the goodness of people. I don’t think that there are any cruel or evil people in this world. People make wrong decisions, whether they are small or gigantic, it doesn’t matter. Everyone does it. It’s inevitable.

Living in a society where drugs and alcohol under the age of legality is the norm, it’s hard to imagine that a teenager is writing an essay concerning morals and the goodness of humanity. Sure, I have friends who do drugs and I have friends that have done bad things but does it mean they’re bad people? Maybe through your eyes they are, but not through mine. I’m not saying this just because they’re somehow close to me. I can say the same about my so-called “enemies.” My house has been egged, tp’d, spray painted, and anything else you can think of. Twice. By the same people. But do I think that they’re bad people? Many of the people that are close to me think that I’m crazy for saying this but, I don’t believe that they’re bad people. Everyone has a reason for how they are. Maybe it’s for the reputation they possess or maybe it’s just the surroundings they grew up in. No matter what, I truly believe that no one in this world is as bad as people make them out to be. No one. I think everyone deserves a second chance in life, and maybe a third, and a fourth because I also believe that people can turn their lives around when their hearts are set into it.

People aren’t bad. It’s society that makes them bad. Society doesn’t think about what image they’re setting out for the younger generations that will be in control in the future. Society doesn’t take the time to understand and counsel the people that they consider “bad.”

Take a moment and think back on something bad that someone has done to you recently. Was it as bad as you really made it?