Amy - Reno, Nevada

When I was little my mom always told me to never let anyone dictate my beliefs or influence my ideologies. From day one I was forced in the direction of deciding my own morals and religion.

“Have you been saved?” Jenica asked as we sat on the monkey bars.

Although I had been baptized Episcopalian and I had sung in church choir, I had never actually discussed religion with anyone. My mom had viewed the Sunday school I attended as weekend Day Care where good habits were encouraged, however not as a means to learn about God and Christian History.

I don’t remember what I said to Jenica that day, but I remember coming home and asking my Mother what it meant to be ‘saved’ and if I could do it too.

She calmly explained that to be saved was to accept Jesus as your savior; however, it was Jenica and her family’s belief, not one I had to accept or deny. After that moment my Mother bought me books of different beliefs. The Bible, the Bhagavad Gita and even a children’s book simply explaining Buddhism have all impacted my beliefs.

So what it comes down to is what do I believe?

I believe in love and peace and the upholding of higher law but, I question the idea of a God who would punish its own creations. I believe in karma and the Ten Commandments; however, I think these are all aspirations we should attempt not hierarchy that determines our fate after death.

All people are naturally good we just need to try a little harder to learn and grow and embody the values we expect others to uphold.

This I believe.