Mateja - Grosse Pointe, Michigan

. I was at the village, and Natasa and I were going to put more money in the meter. We saw these two seventh grade girls from Pierce. They started asking me questions and Natasa left. They asked weird stuff, like where I lived and if I was rich. They asked if Natasa was really goth. I said, “No, she just likes the style.” They also asked if she was a lesbian and this time I yelled “No!” They asked me if they could give me a makeover with new clothes. I declined. They also asked if I had a boyfriend. Seeing that I said no, they asked me what grade I was in. Hearing I was in eighth grade, they said it was sad that I didn’t have a boyfriend. I said, “Hey, I don’t need a boy to complete my life.” They said yes I did and accused me of being a lesbian. I fought back, but it hurt a lot. This hurt especially because I’ve always wanted a boyfriend. The only people who ever asked me out were people I didn’t like. This was an important event to me, because even when it hurt, I stuck up for myself. I am proud to say that I never let people bring me to not defending myself.