Terri - Pensacola, Florida

Working in early childhood education, parenting and foster care over the years I have repeatedly been amazed at the quickness of the young child’s mind and what remarkable mimics they are.

The child comes home from daycare and plays school with their dolls imitating their teacher. Someone lets a “new” word slip and the child tries to “wear it out”. Tlhey watch Daddy work on the car and they dissameble the trucks at preschool in the process of fixing them. They seem to learn new songs and dance steps faster by merely observing than adults do ina week of lessons.

Children are our world’s greatest natural resourcs. They are the future. As such they need nurturing even as we nurture plants. The gardener is familiar with the use of a cold frame for starting young plants in a harsh enviornment. One too many blasts of the cold reality can inuure them keeping them forever below their adult yield.

But the gardener must be alert and wise. To leave the young plant in the cold frame for toolong can do equal harm by wilting and cramping.

There comes a time when any plant needs room to rpread their roots and limbs to have healthy growth. The same is true of chldren. To expose them too early to the cold blasts of the adult reality before they are developmentally able to handle it can have the same affect as cold on the tender young plants.

Which brings me to a saying <"first the blade and then the ear". That is what I believe, everying has its own time and place.