Jessica - Wylie, Texas

Life comes at you fast more times than not. The world acts as a predator, tearing weak individuals apart like wolves on fresh meat. I believe that the situations that don’t tear you apart make you stronger.

I came into high school much like many freshmen: scared, excited and overwhelmed with the expectations and work load as well as a new member of That Wylie Band. With marching practice and sectionals as a part of my new routine, I couldn’t have been more overwhelmed. To top all of this, I was a teenage girl, struggling to figure out who she was and where her beliefs lay. My best friend of junior high deserted me in the worst of times, calling me a snob and someone who didn’t ever spend time with her real friends. Needless to say, I spent the entire first semester crying myself to sleep and dreading the next morning. I lost my only confidant and my parents and I did not get along at the time. My views and hopes for high school had darkened into a painful nothingness. My grades and social life slipped as I found myself groping for something to hold onto. Through all the hurt, I figured out how to push myself through the mediocre grades, heartbreaks, the exhaustion and the lost friendships. I made relationships with new people and concentrated on my schoolwork. During this time, I met some of the greatest people I have ever known, the people who boosted my confidence and held me while I cried. I met my best friend and learned that it was okay to open up to people. After coming out of my three month depression, I found within me a strong and independent young lady who now knew that one can do anything when the mind is engaged.

I am now a successful sophomore in the high school world, who escaped the world’s hungry jaws. I lived through my freshman year, and through all the heartbreaking nights. I could have broken down and let the world defeat me but I believe that the situations that you don’t let tear you apart, in the end, make you stronger.