Chris - Cookeville, Tennessee

A lot of people that do the things I do crave being scared. I don’t. I love being outdoors, especially doing my favorite hobby – rock climbing. Sitting at home, or in class, I am always thinking about where I will be climbing next. It’s a feeling of freedom that cannot be felt doing anything else. However, I don’t do it for the adrenaline rush that most people do it for. I simply enjoy being outside, away from the commotion of the real world. But when I’m climbing, I believe that my rope and my gear will hold me and prevent me from falling off the side of the rock and killing myself. I don’t free solo (climbing without a rope), and unlike most climbers, I am constantly trying to keep my gear in good condition. Most climbers could care less whether or not their rope will break – it just adds to the adrenaline rush for them. But when I climb, I put full responsibility in those tiny nylon strands for keeping me alive. And I believe they will. When I am hanging off the side of a mountain, 600 feet in the air, the last thing I want to be thinking about is falling to the ground. I want to be enjoying the view and listening to the birds sing. This I believe: that my climbing gear will not fail me when I need it. No matter how frightening a climb might be, my gear is the last thing that I will ever have to worry about when I’m climbing!