Rebecca - Ft. Washington, Pennsylvania
Themes: golden rule

I believe everything in my life has happened for a reason. Struggle, failure, and disappointment have taught me what I needed to know to be where I am today.

I grew up in a broken home. I learned what an angry marriage does to children. It taught me to value strong, healthy relationships. I learned the importance of having a supportive, loving partner—of marrying my best friend. My children are now learning about marriage, love and respect from my husband and me. I am responsible for what they learn—and for what they will one day teach my grandchildren.

For years, I worked mediocre jobs that were demeaning and spiritually empty. I learned no salary can justify sacrificing a person’ self worth and to never trade integrity for money. Those jobs taught me it is better serve at a company that has honor than lead in one that does not.

Seventeen years ago— when I was young, single and idealistic, I failed to get into graduate school and knew it was the worst thing that could ever happen. Three years ago— with a husband, two young children, and much less idealism, I completed my Masters degree. I learned all things happen in time; that many worse things could have happened; and that education comes in many forms.

I believe people come into our lives to teach us, and we should always be open to learning from them. Likewise, I believe I am someone’s teacher. I’ve had to serve others so I would know how to lead. I’ve suffered so I would work to end suffering. I’ve had to go without so I would recognize how much I have. I’ve lost love ones—learning to appreciate those in my life. I’ve been taught that family, friends, health, and laughter are priceless.

Life has taught me the world would be a better place if I were quicker to say ‘I’m sorry’, ‘I love you’, ‘thank you’ and ‘let me help’. I now know I am a better person when I say ‘No’, ‘I can’t’ and ‘I need help’. I’ve learned I should always assume the other driver did not mean to cut me off; the salesperson is just as busy as I am; and that my child, coworker, mother or husband did not mean it the way it sounded. Every day I relearn to believe in myself—even when no one else does.

For all our failings as humans, I believe we really are doing the best we can. Whenever I begin to doubt it, I am met with a kindness I don’t deserve, a friendship I didn’t expect, a moment I won’t forget, and the reassurance that my belief is accurate.

Everything in my life has happened for a reason. I am not where I will be tomorrow, but exactly where I should be today. God has a plan for me—as a wife, mother, writer and teacher.

This I believe.