Michelle - Palos Hills, Illinois

When I was younger, I believed in the fairytale romance. Someday Prince Charming would come along on his white horse ready to sweep me off of my feet. I thought that everyone’s love life consisted of these thoughts, which became reality when you hit a certain age. However, fairytale stories have never shared the other side of love, what happens after the honeymoon. They portray a life full of happiness, followed by unwavering commitment. When I looked at my parents and their marriage I thought I saw a true fairy tale romance.

My parents started dating soon after my dad’s family moved next door to my mom’s family. A few years later they decided to go to Las Vegas and elope. Five years after they married, they had four lovely children. After almost thirty years together in marriage, they still manage to make it work. Like any couple, they have had their moments of disagreement.

However, it wasn’t until recently that my trust in the perfect fairy tale ending was shaken. About a year ago my eldest brother told me that my mom had cheated on my dad when they were younger. I don’t know for sure if it happened when they were dating or when they were married. But, cheating is still cheating. I was in denial for a while, thinking to myself ‘how could mom do that to dad?’ and ‘how could dad forgive her for that?’ Having had a boyfriend cheat on me before, made it even harder to wrap my brain around the situation.

I have come to think that maybe the fairy tale romance I imagined as a child does not exist in the way I thought it did. But that doesn’t mean that it can’t exist at all. My dad and mom have stuck by each others sides, through the good times and the bad times, leading me to believe that true love conquers all. A true fairy tale romance is not only measured by the amount of love, but by the amount of forgiveness that accompanies such love.