Eric - Ames, Iowa
Themes: respect

I am a Human and just like everyone else, I deserve to be respected. I was raised to believe in the “Golden Rule.” That is, “do unto other’s as you would like done unto you.” Basically if you wouldn’t like to be yelled at and made fun of, don’t do it to other people. However, times have changed and that’s not a rule anymore its almost like a privilege to get people to respect you. People don’t grow up anymore getting respect, they have to ask for it. The times have changed in the last century for the worst and unless corrected we are on the road to destruction. I grew up in a middle sized city with a journey ahead of me. In order to earn respect you have to deserve it first. The most recent example I had was with a Girl named Lindsey, I asked her how much she respected me on a scale (1-10). She responded with a ten and I asked why, she said because I listened to her in times of the good and the bad. I showed that I cared and I didn’t force her to do anything she didn’t want to do.

In today’s society it seems much more possible to survive without being respected. Someone could, for example, inherit a large amount of money, have many servants and employees and have salesmen constantly calling on him and catering to him, yet not be respected in the least. Someone could also make a lot of money through having a particular talent which is valued, such as being able to dunk a basketball yet not really be respected, perhaps because of the way he treats others. Still, there is a value to respect which money can’t buy. Though someone’s life might not depend on it, there are times, many times in fact, when another person has the chance to make a personal decision, a judgment call. When a person feels sincere respect for someone else, they will make a different decision than if they feel no respect, even if they have customarily shown a false pseudo-respect to the person. Respect can be shown through behavior and it can also be felt. When someone believe one thing and you believe another, don’t blurt out “I disagree!” That’s not showing respect We can act in ways which are considered respectful, yet we can also feel respect for someone and feel respected by someone. Because it is possible to act in ways that do not reflect how we really feel, the feeling of respect is more important than the behavior without the feeling. When the feeling is there, the behavior will naturally follow. I am a human and feel the need to be respected, do you?