scot - danbury, Connecticut

I believe in the power of the Imagination.

I know that the Imagination is the faculty thru which I encounter the EVERYTHING. The things that I touch, see and hear coalesce into a “picture” via my imagination. The way I understand things… the way that I ‘make sense’ of things is thru my imagination. The ability to problem-solve… to see things from a different perspective… to empathize… all happen because I have this technicolor, multi-channel, curious imagination.

Understand me, then, when I say that God is my imaginary friend.

I know God is true because God comes to me in the same way that you come to me… that EVERYTHING comes to me….thru my imagination.

To believe in God is to exercise the imagination. To EXPERIENCE God requires imagination. To TRUST God…to sense God’s goodness and see God’s faithfulness… is to use your imagination.

I’m in good company, here. Emerson, Blake and Berdyaev all spoke of the Divine Imagination. They saw our ability to ‘create worlds’ in our mind as a proof that we were linked to God… that we had a piece of the Divine within us.

I believe in God because I can imagine God. And I believe, that in imagining God, I am encountering God the only way I truly can.

But encountering God is not the same as understanding God. To experience is not to study. God doesn’t ‘download’ with an instruction manual. And so I am left to decide, for myself, how to live in light of the experiences I have.

And so I use my imagination, once again. I picture how things will work out in each of the scenarios I could postulate. I look at it from a different point of view. I consider the reactions I might receive. All of these are products of my imagination AND they are instructional and ethical. That certainly might be a way that an efficient God would teach us to know the truth.

I trust my imagination but I don’t delude myself: while the imagination is the only way I can experience the world… it is not the true, actual Reality. But I only ever get to see the needle-readings and the print-outs that my imaginaton provides. And with those I must be content.