Mary - Brandon, Florida

THIS I BELIEVE

I am an incredibly fortunate human being. I have love enough to fill my life, money enough not to have to worry, a soul mate to share it all with, day by day, and wonderful family and friends.

I missed the good fortune in terms of my health. I have been through a lot. I live with lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and more.. I am a six year lung cancer survivor. In other words, physically, life is quite a challenge, or I am plain and simple, a mess.

I am asked all of the time: how do you do it? I have a philosophy that I believe in with all of my heart: these problems could cloud my view of the world, and, if I allowed it, isolate me from the people who matter most to me. I wake up each morning, and no matter how I feel, I put a smile on my face before walking into the bathroom. When I look in the mirror, I see a face smiling back at me, and I start my day with a great attitude. And I figure that if I can fool me, I can fool every one around me. This small gesture usually makes the difference between a happy or grumpy day. I believe in the power of my smile.

I have a choice, day by day. I can live my life each day to the fullest, be fulfilled, have friends, and a life rich in blessings. Or I can choose to be miserable and alone. After all, how many people will spend time with a complaining grouch?

My glass is perpetually half full. I intend to keep it that way!

Don’t get me wrong. I certainly have my share of “days” when I don’t want to be around me! And if you don’t believe me, just ask my soul mate. Often, it is because of him that I make it through those days, and onto the business of living my life.

Learning to deal with challenges and live life to the fullest is incredibly difficult. The rewards are amazing. The flip side sucks. I choose life and live it my way, surrounded by projects and people I love, and who love me back. I nourish my spirit and spirituality. It gives me strength. I work to repair the world, and gain the rewards of a life well lived.

I choose to make little acts of kindness the substance of who I am. I can make a little difference, every day, to each of the people whose path crosses mine.

I believe my contribution to society comes in my daily actions and interactions with people, even if it is only a smile to a stranger, who may not see another smile all day long. I make my impact with one small act of kindness at a time.

We choose our lives daily. Choose wisely. Live well. Smile. This I believe.