Taylor - Calgary, Canada

This I believe, society should not discriminate against people because of their physical appearance. I am growing up in an era where there is a great deal of prejudice towards people who do not fit the “mold” that the North American society has created and deems appropriate and acceptable. There is a greater value placed on a person who possess beauty over a person who posses knowledge or has a great personality. On a daily basis the TV and magazines are filled with ads for weight loss programs, diet pills and plastic surgery this conveys the message that one is never perfect just the way they are. Societies obsession with achieving perfection has spiraled out of control and I do not believe that perfection will ever be attained.

As a young women I am well aware of body issues, there is always something that I wish I could change or improve upon, but I believe that today’s culture is fixated on the imperfections of both men and women. Youth today is being driven to feel unhappy about their physical appearance and this has lead to a steady increase in eating disorders and plastic surgery. More and more cases are occurring where girls as young as ten are diagnosed with severe eating disorders. At ten years old girls should be involved in activities and playing with their friends not worrying about how much they weigh. This just goes to show the affect that society has on the youth of today. There is such a great deal of prejudice surrounding beauty that our culture is placing less and less emphasis on importance of individualism.

I was once told that “beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder,” and this quote has proven to be a very positive force in the way that I perceive myself. In a society where people are always being told that they are too fat or too skinny, too short or too tall, this quote has led me to believe that there is not just one form or idea of perfection. I feel that beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and colors, and that true beauty comes from within. I do not fit the “mold” that the media has created, but I am happy with myself and who I am. The American culture needs to start evaluating their perception of beauty and stop being prejudice towards those they do not feel posses beauty.