This I Believe

Jenny - sterling heights, Michigan
Entered on March 26, 2007
Age Group: Under 18
  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.

I believe that this society is overly judgmental.

Today’s society has too many unnecessary standards that people expect compliance with in order to be considered normal. People say, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” but the fact is that many will use the appearance of another to gauge whether that person is worth talking to. Proof of this is exhibited when a girl or boy is looking for a possible person to date. Girls will look at the guys’ clothing and draw all kinds of conclusions about the way they act from one glance. If the guy is dressed like a thug, a girl who has been taught to find that threatening will more than likely turn them away and feel that they are a bad person when in actuality if they had been given a chance they could prove to be nicer than anyone in a polo and dockers. No one should be shoved into a category by something as meaningless as clothing, skin color, or religion.

It’s not just that people are judgmental about the physical appearance of others—the real problem lies in the assumptions made by judgmental people, which are usually completely unmerited. How long has racism and sexism been a leading social issue in this country? Hundreds of years! The problem has greatly subsided, but people are still overly critical of each other in other ways. There are stereotypes regarding every group of people imaginable. No one has the right to say all homosexuals act extremely feminine or embrace this generalization to make an insensitive joke because that can be truly hurtful. When people behave judgmentally they have the potential to hurt many people with their insensitivity and that cannot be tolerated. It is wrong whenever people give these stereotypes the power to seem like fact.

Others could say that the generalizations are true enough to be applicable, but even if 99% of people followed a certain assumption why is it necessary to not take the chance that you’ve found that 1%? People should not discriminate against other groups in the first place. Some cite that they are being discriminatory because of their religion or they are being cautious not racist. Religion’s supposed to be loving and accepting, plus only God can judge so religious groups should stop being hypocritical and accept homosexuals and other religions as they are. For those who say their racism is a form of prevention from some negative event, anyone could technically harm you not just someone of a different skin tone. If you’re going to live your life in fear, why bother living?

Overall, judging others isn’t a productive use of anyone’s time. It only leads to pain and ignorance— both of which should be avoided at all cost. No one should feel superior because of arbitrary aspects of their life like race or religion. People should embrace each others’ differences instead of acting immaturely about them.