This I Believe

Laura - Citrus Heights, California
Entered on March 20, 2007
Age Group: 30 - 50
  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.

I believe that our pets are selfless angels, here to teach us the true meaning of love. And I believe we are stewards of this earth and all God’s creatures.

When I was a little girl riding in the back seat of my mom’s car, I’d spy a lost dog. Feelings I was never taught would consume me. I’d panic and say, “Mama, it’s lost! The doggie’s lost!” I thought she’d stop the car, but she never did. I swore that when I got older I’d find a way to save lost dogs, and I have.

When I grew old enough to understand that animals had to die for my dinner, I asked my mother how come it was okay to kill animals. And she said, “Because animals don’t have feelings, and their brains are so small they’re dumb and don’t know the difference.” I was an obedient child and that was that. But two decades later at 27, a PETA magazine came across my desk. I saw the most remarkable picture! Two cows were basking in the emotion of love! I saw one cow kissing the other cow’s ear! And the cow who was being kissed had her eyes barely open, reveling in the love. “AH-HA! I proclaimed! Animals DO have emotions!” My mother was wrong! That was my last day as a meat eater.

So imagine my surprise when last December the FDA deemed milk and meat from cloned cattle, goats and pigs are safe to consume and require no special labeling! Just because the ‘gods of science’ have been able to animate just 10% of cloned cattle into clones, oh, and the other 90% are grossly deformed and die, is this something we should be doing?

The FDA’s company line on animal cloning for livestock production is that these animals are “safe to consume.” Safe for whom??? Safe for the animals with quote/unquote “No emotions?” Safe to us humans, even though there have been no long-term studies??? Flashback to the day I saw the PETA magazine cover of the two cows kissing. Animals DO have emotions! They have families, they share affection. They deserve humane treatment, they deserve better than animal biotechnology.

Time is running out. We have until April 2nd to let the FDA know that we will not buy into this Franken-burger experiment. Go to their website and let your thoughts be known! Tell someone, tell everyone! Because we are stewards of this earth and of all God’s creatures on it – THIS I BELIEVE.