Glen - Arlington, Texas

I believe in the power of words. I believe that we should think before we speak. Whoever coined the phrase, “Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me”, must have had a lot of self confidence. Words can hurt and often we say things we don’t mean and often are not thinking when we say them. Of all the stupid things people say, stereotypes irritate me the most. I’ll admit that I stereotype all the time. It doesn’t mean I’m proud of it. Everyone has stereotyped and most of us currently do probably. Just because something is not racist doesn’t mean it’s not prejudiced. We do it all the time. I cannot count the number of times that people do not believe me when I tell them that I have ADHD, Attention Defeceit Hyperactivity Disorder. It seems that I do not fit their mold of someone diagnosed with ADHD. I do not bounce of walls and I can actually pay attention to someone when they are talking. This seems to confuse some people. They say things like, “Hmmm…you don’t seem like you have ADHD.” Although I bothers me when people say “I feel so ADD today”, I’ve learned to live with it. There are more serious stereotypes to worry about. Just because someone has mood swings every now and then does not make them bipolar. Bipolar disorder is a very serious illness. I think it is immature of us to say our friends are retarded for being carless. If we can learn to stop stereotyping, racist or otherwise, the world could be better. This I believe.