Marianne - Columbus, Wisconsin
Themes: Christianity

I believe God speaks to us in dreams.

When I was eleven, I saw Africa’s raw beauty and terrible poverty firsthand. I began to dream of a world where inequalities between rich and poor did not exist. As a teenager in Madison, Wisconsin I joined protest marches to make the world a better place. Later, I learned Hebrew prophets like Micah had dreamed the same dream. “They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks….. they shall all sit under their own vines and under their own fig trees, and no one shall make them afraid;….” (Micah chapter 4) Jesus knew this dream too. He called it ‘the kingdom of God.’

Once I dreamed of Jesus. He was very handsome in his watchman’s cap, navy blue jacket, and red beard. There was sand on his face. As he drew near to kiss me, I thought “I’d better kiss him on the mouth because if I kiss him on the cheek I’ll taste sand.” Our kiss was long and passionate. Jesus led me inside and downstairs into a wine cellar — just the two of us. Now, many years since that dream, I am still loving and longing for Jesus. I tell this dream to others, hoping that they will learn God loves them passionately too.

Dreams need to be recorded. Otherwise they fade and are forgotten. I keep a dream diary by my bedside. I try to record my dreams regularly. In the attic, there is a box filled with years and years of dream diaries. Martin Luther King Jr. wrote his dreams down. He shared one with the world in Washington D.C. in 1963. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech became our dream: of a world where different kinds of people could really get along. Because of his dream, we in this country live together more peacefully now.

I believe dreams can come true. When Jesus healed the sick, fed the hungry, ate with sinners, and told transforming stories, things became possible which seemed impossible before. Most every Sunday, I preach to a United Methodist congregation. During Lent, we have reading Jesus’ dream diary in church: the Sermon on the Mount (found in the Gospel of Matthew). Each week, we pray “thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven” and then, we go and try to live Jesus’ dream throughout the week.

I believe one day God’s dream for the world will come true. All people will worship God as the ruler of their lives, and live in harmony (shalom) with one another.” As

John Lennon wrote “you may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one.” I love this dream, and will keep on trying to live it as best I can.